New Undebt.it+ Feature: YNAB Account Integration
Are you a YNAB (YouNeedABudget) User?
If so, then I have some good news for you; Undebt.it now offers account integration between the two services. One of the most popular requests I get is that users want to be able to connect their online accounts to Undebt.it. There are a number of things that make this request not feasible right now: it’s hard to do and it’s expensive to do. So one way to get around that obstacle is to tie into another service that does do account aggregation. Fortunately, YNAB has made this process relatively easy to do so I’m happy to announce that the integration is ready to go and if you’re already a user of both services then your life just got a little easier. Here’s what it can do for you:
- Update your Undebt.it account balance. This feature will keep your debt account balance current with whatever YNAB has. This means that if you have your credit card account in YNAB tied to your online account, everything will update automatically.
- Import your YNAB transactions (coming soon). Undebt.it users won’t have to record their payment transactions once this feature has been completed. The payments and purchases you make on your credit card will be brought over to Undebt.it automatically.
Here’s What You Need to Make This Work
There are two things that are required to make the link work:
- An active YNAB account. They offer a free 34 day trial so you can try before you buy.
*If you click on the link above and sign up for a account, I get a referral bonus 🙂
- An active Undebt.it+ account. There is a one-click, free 30 day trial available
Getting Started with the Integration
Log into your Undebt.it account and go to the YNAB Sync page (it’s located in the “My Account” link section) and click on the “Link YNAB Account” button.
The next step is setting up the mapping of the accounts between the two sites. You will see a list of all of the accounts you have setup in YNAB along with their current balances. There are three choices you have on these accounts:
- Ignore the account: Undebt.it will not do anything with the account.
- Add the YNAB account to Undebt.it: This will create a new Undebt.it debt account and add it your list of active debts. Once the account is created, go to the debt details page for the new account and change the due date, account type and any other settings that YNAB does not store.
- Assign the YNAB account to the proper Undebt.it account: Use the pulldown list to match each account as needed. The current Undebt.it balance is shown in the list, next to the account name.
When you are done with the mapping, click the “Save Account Mapping” button and your account balances will be updated. You don’t have to do all of the mappings at once; you can come back to this page and map an account or two whenever you like.
If you want to make sure everything is working as expected, go to the debt details page of a sync’d account and you should see a current date like in this screenshot.
Your account will automatically sync itself so there is no action required on your part. However, if you want to manually sync your YNAB data, go to the Account List page. Click on the “YNAB Sync” button updates all of your linked accounts.
There is also a similar button on the Debt Details page, but this one only updates the selected account. The preferred method is to use the one on the Account List page to cut down on API traffic since it updates all of your accounts at once.
If you want to stop an individual account from syncing with YNAB, just go to the Debt Details page and click the button labeled “Unlink From YNAB”.
Some Important Notes Regarding the Integration
YNAB reserves the right to revoke access to their API at any time. This means that this feature can stop working sometime in the future and there is nothing I could do to fix it. Also, as noted above, I’m still working on the transaction import feature so it is not done yet.
If you try out the integration and it’s not working out for you, you can revoke Undebt.it’s access to your YNAB account by logging into your YNAB account, then go to Settings > Authorized Apps and click on the revoke link.